"Not all who wander are lost"

"Not all who wander are lost"

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I have hidden the cheese in my suitcase, the end is here. Blog 23

Well, I planned to write this during my 13 hours of travel yesterday, but it didn't happen.  I am safe and sound now, at home, but my blog needed an ending.  So this is my evaluation of my semester:

I spent 128 days living in Europe.
My goal was to learn French, but I got more than I bargained for :)

I got to visit various cities in 7 different countries in Europe, I've taken 11 planes and more trains than I can count.  Traveling was ABSOLUTELY amazing, and I have a better understanding of a lot of history now that I've had the chance to see where it took place.  And I have around 7000 pictures to prove it :)

I gained a new world perspective by living in a different culture.  My ideas and opinion changed, but my faith only got stronger, I think I've grown up a lot.

I've learned to deal with problems in a more calm rational manner.  Once the train has left the station without you there is really nothing you can do about it, no amount of worrying is going to bring it back, so why panic?

I've also made some wonderful friends, both French and American.  My host family became like my real family, and I miss them (and Miss Lindsey Whitfield) already!  I now have friends ALL over the world, and I'm looking forward to visiting them again.

French.  Hmmm, yesterday I had just woken up and the flight attendant walked by and I yelled after her in French without even thinking haha.  Ok, so my goal was to become fluent, I don't think I am fluent, and I wouldn't call myself bilingual, but I speak French pretty darn well.  Definitely enough to communicate easily and enough to impress any French stranger on the street, I still really love the language.

I had a list, of things I wanted to do in Europe, like visit Rome and London.  Go see Emma, buy a beret, try foi gras.  I did EVERYTHING on my list, except go skiing in the mountains, but I had a pretty long list, so that's not bad.  And I am very content :)

Overall, I had a very full study abroad experience.  Some things were exactly how I imagined, but most things were so much better :)  The semester was incredible, I couldn't ask for more.  It is a miracle that I'm home, on Sunday my plane was the only one to go to Paris, and on Monday my plane was the only one to go to Philadelphia.  I'm so happy to be home, it is great to be in my house, with my family (and boyfriend too) again.  And I've never been so excited about Christmas.

However, I will always carry a little piece of France around in my heart, a little part of me is very French now, and I really hope I can go back someday.  In the meantime, if anybody wants to practice their French with me, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Courtney, as I have gone through this study abroad experience with you in the same program, I want to congratulate you on the progress you have made, your language has certainly improved drastically, but also you have grown as a person and achieved many goals on a personal level.. you really made the most out of your experience here and lived it to the fullest par rapport a (opps, me too my mind is working in french, switch: in comparison to, that's what I meant to say) in comparison to those who spent their time crying about it, whining, and complaining about how everything sucked ! So, good job, I was happy to get to know you and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you my dear :) But you left me in Europe!!!! I envy that you got to do everything you wanted to here and still got to go home for Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and I will miss reading this blog and knowing that someone else from little old Parma is on the same continent as me hehe Speak French with me anytime. And I'm sure Ladislas wouldn't mind the occasional conversation either ;) Ahahahaha I crack myself up...

    :)

    ReplyDelete