"Not all who wander are lost"

"Not all who wander are lost"

Monday, November 8, 2010

Had to loosen my belt, because of Belgian Waffles, Blog 16

So I just spent an awesome weekend with Emma Clark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She is so awesome.  And she is living in Belgium this year, which gave me the opportunity to see ANOTHER part of Europe and visit one of friends at the same time!

Anyways, we spent the weekend exploring Belgium, chilling with Belgians, commenting on the Belgian accent (hein?) SHOPPING, and talking NON STOP in English and in French, and in Franglish/Franglais...oh and eating...and eating some more...and some more after that....and now I officially can't wear my belt on the same loop as last week.

Exploring Belgium:  We hung around in Emma's tiny little town, with some of her insane Belgian buddies, we shopped in Liege and enjoyed the street fair, and went to Brugge, which was just awesome in every way.

Belgian Accent:  I didn't notice too much difference, except in words like soeur and heure.  Plus, they have a few different words for things like Diner is Supper in Belgium.  AND they add ''hein'' after like every words, thus my analogy:  Americans:Canadians = French:Belgians  yep, analogies, when was the last time you saw one of those, eh?

SHOPPING!!!  We just completely totally took advantage of the fact that shopping in Europe is just SO fun!  We tried on outfits that were very European, very American and very bizarre...and had mini photo shoots in the dressing rooms of the stores haha, not actually intending to buy any of it.  Europpean fashion is a little different than the US, this year, super furry vests are def in style, and it is quite fashionable to walk around in booty shorts, with fun tights and boots with a cute top for this season.  I really like European fashion, but the Belgians will drop hundreds of dollars to look American...i tried on a very very American looking pair of jeans; with a silkscreen tshirt and a hoodie, total?  220 euros, that is over 300 dollars. wow.

Food!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 Belgian waffles (2 chocolate stuffed, one with powdered sugar, and the queen of all waffles: dipped in chocolate, covered in chocolate and vanilla whipped cream, with more chocolate drizzled on top and covered in freshly cut strawberries.  and when i bought it, they packaged it in a cute little blue box for me, it was the Tiffanys of waffle companies)
2 Frites!  Belgian fries are just awesome, there is no other way to describe them
An assortment of other food including (but not limited to) Really greasy sandwich, lots of breads, spreads, cheeses, chocolates, Speculos cookies, crepes, soups and spaghetti!
We actually sort of accidentally wandered into a culinary show thing, and ate samples from over 100 stands until we had  stomach aches!  And we found it all because I had to go to the bathroom...

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend, we had SO MUCH FUN, and so much to talk about all the time.  It was great being with somebody who I have known for a long time, who totally understands everything that I'm dealing with here. 

That being said, our programs are extremely different, she is in a high school program, I am in a college program.  I was actually a little nervous to visit because I was afraid I would be frustrated with my program, and regret not going in high school.  But, I have learned, that both programs have pros and cons, Emma has more immersion than I do, but I am allowed to travel and she isn't.  She gets to be here for a year, I get to be home for Christmas and I can still graduate on time.  There are just way too many pros and cons for both programs to possibly decide which is better...but I am content with my choice.  This type of study abroad worked the best with my life, it was the best choice for me :)

AND I HAD SUCH AN AWESOME TIME WITH EMMA THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment